Everyone wants, their skin looks glossy and shiny. But when the winter is coming we all face the same problem that is skin dryness, itching, discomfort, and cracking skin. Skin care in winter is little bit difficult and this is all because of the low humidity in our surroundings during winter. So, our skin doesn’t retain sufficient moisture and that’s why the skin is dry during winter.
Fortunately, skin dryness has not a serious problem. But sometimes it can create serious complications like chronic eczema (red patches).
And it’s a time when we take extra care of our skin and follow basic routines to keep our skin glowing even in this chilly weather.
SOME FACTORS THAT CAUSES A HARMFUL EFFECTS ON SKIN
There is some factor that you will have to avoid to get healthy, shiny, and glowing skin in winter.
1. SUN EXPOSURE
Avoid UVR exposure, because when you directly come into the UV exposure that may cause photoaging (premature aging of the skin) and also damage the outer layer (epidermis) of the skin. Exposure to UV causes long term and short term damage to the skin.
So, wearing protective clothes that protect your skin from sun exposure. You can also use sunscreen. Which has a sun protection factor(SPF) of 30 or higher. Although, according to research, the use of sunscreen does not completely eliminate UVR exposure. It is an effective adjunct to sun avoidance and wearing protective clothing.
A healthy and balance diet also plays a vital role in glowing and shiny skin and also helps us to provide extra care of our skin throughout the winter. As age is increased antioxidative mechanisms become less effective. And the ability to prevent DNA damage and cellular damage is reduced. That’s why you take and add a good source of antioxidants to your plate.
Antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin E, carotenoids (winter squash, carrots, and sweet potatoes), lipoic acid (spinach, broccoli, and yeast extract), and selenium (Brazil nuts, meats, and fish).
HEALTHY DAILY ROUTINE FOR SKINCARE IN WINTER
We all want that have good skin in winter as well as summer. So, here we will talk about how to care for good and healthy skin in winter?
1. DRINK A LOT OF WATER
You always hear that drinking lot of water. According to the U.S national academies of sciences, engineering, and medicine the ideal range to take water are 3.7 liters for men and 2.7 liters for women in a day.
In winters naturally, we forget to drink enough water throughout the day. But, it’s harmful to our skin. You will have to remember to get enough water for glowing skin in winter.
In winter, you can take ginger and lemon. Because it is a wonderful way to keep hydrated in winter and you will feel healthy and hydrated.
2. AT THE TIME OF GROOMING
- Never use hot water, always use lukewarm water, it is ideal to wash your face in winter. Lukewarm water in winters may relax your muscles.
- Limit your bathing habit in winter. Bath only 5 to 8 minutes. if you take shower more than this you may lose your natural skin oil layer and your skin loses moisture and your skin turns dry.
- Avoid regular use of soap in winters. Try to use soap on alternate days.
- Do not use alcohol-based cosmetic products like deodorants and perfumed soap directly on the skin. They dilate the skin pore and cause dry skin.
- Do not use sponges for rubbing during bathing. Rub body gently with hands.
- When you will use any shaving products (gel, foam, or cream) then leave them for some minutes on the skin and then after start shaving. do not use aftershave products in winter.
- Not only your grooming products but also your detergents and fabric softeners indirectly affect your skin moisture and make your skin dry. So avoid these products during winter.
3. CHOOSE A GOOD CLEANSER
Nowadays, a lot of cleansers are available in the market. But, all cleaners are not good for your skin types. Some of the cleansers contain harsh ingredients that skin-damaging rather than nourishing. Ingredients like alcohol and any other fragrance etc.
The cream-based cleanser is beneficial for the skin in winter. Cream-based cleansers like Ponds, Biotique, Himalaya, Vaseline, Cetaphil.
4. USE NATURAL MOISTURIZER FOR YOUR SKIN
Moisturizing the skin is one of the most important steps that must do to have glowing skin in winters. Moisturizers make a protective layer on the outer layer of skin and protect the skin from losing moisture. It helps to keep your skin hydrated and makes sure that the skin does not lose its natural oil. You can choose a plethora of natural moisturizers like coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, and buttermilk.
5. CHOOSE GOOD EXFOLIATE OR SCRUB
“Is exfoliating the skin during winter is good”? It may be the last thing on your mind when you have dry and itchy skin. Of course yes, it not only will take off the dry and dead skin cells but it also helps you to regenerate new ones.
Use natural exfoliating scrubs like caffeine and orange scrub. And after using these natural exfoliate your skin will definitely feel blessed.
6. ESSENTIAL ACCESSORIES
- Undoubtedly winter is harsher on your skin than summer. When you go outside from the home, you must have a pocket for essentials like a lip balm to take care of your dry and chapped lips. In winter, low humidity uncomfortably makes skin dry.
- A scarf and gloves are essential to protect your hands and the delicate skin on your neck.
7. SUNSCREEN IS NOT ONLY FOR SUMMER
Sunscreen is just as important during winter to shield from those harmful UVs. Make sure to cover your face, neck, and hands (if they are exposed), and opt for a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 protection. Don’t forget the spots that are easily missed such as the back of the neck, lips, and ears, and under the chin.